openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Managing branches for future releases
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2017 18:27:12 GMT
Am 26.10.2017 um 07:03 schrieb Peter kovacs:
> Am 25. Oktober 2017 21:25:42 MESZ schrieb Marcus <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>:
>>
>> Sure, it's not yet written in stop. But when we need to build it it has to be.
>>
>> Furthermore, when releasing from "test" or "release" or similar, what
>> do with these branches? I hope you do not suggest "then we can recycle
>> them and reuse for the next build". ;-)
> Why do you think it is a problem to go by state?

I cannot see what is behind the names. "test" - from what? Is it still
for 4.1.x or the new 4.2.0 or what? I really think it is not clear for
everyone.

And again:
Never, never, ever reuse a branch that has seen a release. You will
destroy the history. In the worst case you will loose the overview and
therefore loose time when you actually don't have it.

Creating a new branch just after we have released a version is fast and
cheap.

Marcus