openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>
Subject Re: Forums and Wiki VM Migrations
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2017 00:50:04 GMT
Hi,

> On 28 Jun 2017, at 2:18 am, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Gavin McDonald wrote:
>> https://forum.openoffice.org ...
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org ...
>> We need to migrate these services over to new fully puppetized VMs.
>
> One thing to remember: while we can live without buildbots (that were left crippled by
a similar infrastructure upgrade) we can't have a long downtime for the Forum or Wiki; so
if Infra is embarking on this, then this time the job must be completed successfully. I see
the JIRA issues already take care of stating this, but it's better to point it out again.

This deserves another thread so I’ll do that shortly.

>> I imagine that identifying all the nuts and bolts of these services will take a
>> bit of time to go through, and to puppetize everything that we can.
>
> Speaking as probably the only active person in maintaining the services, I can say that
the text files available to Infra (not publicly accessible, but ask me the URL if needed)
describe reasonably well the setup. The wiki is mostly normal, but the forum is crazy (for
historical reasons).

Right. I have been involved in the initial setup and upgrades of both services so we should
be good.

>> I will be here on list and also liaising through the INFRA Jira tickets [1][2].
>
> Thank you. I don't see it necessary to create a wiki page for the migration but if it
helps, no problem.

The wiki page was not to help me, but rather the project as a whole as future documentation
to refer to.

>> A volunteer or two to assist with communication between Infra and the
>> Openoffice communities (such as those using and managing the Forums -
>> particularly since some of those dont follow the mailing lists or Jira.) would
>> be nice.
>> A volunteer or two who wants to be involved in the actual migration process
>> would also be nice so that we have folks here with some working knowledge
>> by the end of the process.
>
> I volunteer for the second part: I don't have a lot of spare time, but at the moment
I'm the only person with recent experience of managing the services. I've subscribed to both
JIRA issues.

Great, thanks.

Gav…