openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Weber <christoph.we...@bizx.info>
Subject Email config changes for templates.openoffice.org and extensions.openoffice.org Drupal sites
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2017 18:25:16 GMT
Hello everyone,

I am going to help with email reconfiguration of the
templates.openoffice.org and extensions.openoffice.org Drupal sites we host
for you at SourceForge. As some of you may know, SourceForge is shutting
down its regular email sending service from Project Web due to changing
electronic messaging and privacy requirements around the world. See
attached email message below, and also https://sourceforge.net/blog/
sourceforge-project-e-mail-policy-update/

First off, almost no action is required on your part, we are offering to do
the footwork for you in as much as possible. We are an experienced Drupal
team here at SourceForge HQ, only some DNS admin stuff will be required on
the part of the Apache Infra team. So here's the plan:

We propose to hook up your templates.openoffice.org and
extensions.openoffice.org Drupal sites to the free tier plan at
Sparkpost.com (up to 100,000 emails/month). It's an easy change in the
backend of your sites. The Apache Infra team (or whoever controls DNS for
these two subdomains) will need to verify domain ownership with a couple of
DKIM records, and then you are pretty much set.

Beyond that change, it is time to update your Drupal sites to the latest
Drupal core version and apply other security updates. Again, we can take
care of that for you. We will likely start git repos for both sites to ease
the workflow and allow a modicum of control.

Thoughts, comments, ideas? Shoot them my way please.
Thanks,

Christoph Weber, Director of Technology
SourceForge Media LLC, San Diego CA 92113 - 858-454-5900

--- start attached email ---

Dear SourceForge project owner,

As a result of changing electronic messaging and privacy requirements
around the world, SourceForge will implement a number of changes that will
affect your project. Please review the following carefully and make
necessary changes before June 26, 2017.

SourceForge will stop support for email sending from your Project Web space.

That includes all transactional email from systems such a Wordpress,
Drupal, and similar. Since we also block outbound connections due to past
abuse (see
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Project%
20Web%20and%20Developer%20Web/#outbound-connectivity),
it will not be possible to use email services such as MailChimp, and thus
no way to send email from your project web site.

We deeply regret having to bring this functionality to end of life, but
since we cannot verify or control this type of email traffic going out from
the sourceforge.net domain, compliance with new electronic messaging and
privacy laws makes it impossible to continue the service.

Please also refer to our full blog post at
https://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge-project-e-mail-policy-update/
If you have any questions and/or need further help making these adjustments
please email support@sourceforge.net.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support,

The SourceForge team