openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Manager for 4.2.0?
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2017 14:47:43 GMT
Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Bouncing up your mail from march...

Not only from March, but from March 2016!

> Am 27.03.2016 um 22:13 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> 2) Localization. I got shell access to the Pootle server a few days
>> ago. I'm still looking around, and if someone else want to join this
>> is an important part. We need to have a solid process for updating
>> translations (the full route: new strings in code -> Pootle -> back to
>> code -> in localized builds) in place.
>
> This is the part I would be interested to help!
> Pootle synchronisation is essential for 4.2.0 and beyond.

Good! So the first step would be that you try exporting a language
(likely German in you case) from Pootle to SDF and check how it looks.

While I assumed Pootle was aligned with 4.1.x (no strings are added
within the 4.1.x series) Ariel did some work in early 2017 and found out
that actually Pootle reflects some other, not perfectly clear, status of
code.

Anyway, the first action I suggest is:

1) Download German PO files from https://translate.apache.org/de/ (you
will need to login; I've just given you permission to download the PO
files in case you didn't have them)

2) Convert the PO files to SDF; search "sdf" in
https://wiki.openoffice.org for documentation

3) Compare the files you obtain with those at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/branches/AOO413/extras/l10n/source/de/
(note: it's a huge text file, use some reliable editor)

4) You can also build the AOO414 branch -or trunk- with the new SDF if
you want to have some fun.

This is a first check to understand how stuff works and the translation
status. Feel free to open a new dedicated discussion for follow-up if
you need some more information. Note that I only know the high-level
steps but I'm not familiar with details, so some documentation digging
will still be needed.

Regards,
   Andrea.