openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Seidel <matthias.sei...@hamburg.de>
Subject Re: Buildbot upgrades broken ?
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2017 11:01:59 GMT
Am 28.06.2017 um 02:59 schrieb Gavin McDonald:
> Hi
>
>> On 28 Jun 2017, at 2:18 am, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Gavin McDonald wrote:
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org ...
>>> https://wiki.openoffice.org ...
>>> We need to migrate these services over to new fully puppetized VMs.
>> One thing to remember: while we can live without buildbots (that were left crippled
by a similar infrastructure upgrade) we can't have a long downtime for the Forum or Wiki;
so if Infra is embarking on this, then this time the job must be completed successfully. I
see the JIRA issues already take care of stating this, but it's better to point it out again
> The Operating Systems were upgraded on some Buildbot VMS whilst others were replaced
altogether. Mostly, I see this as the OpenOffice project need to keep up to speed with Operating
Systems, associated software packages for those systems and ensure that the OpenOffice software
can run on ever evolving systems. Windows 7 as an example was EOL years ago and security updates
no longer available. Ubuntu 12.04 the same thing. You are complaining we replaced 5 year old
and 10 year old Operating systems and that this broke your builds.

Hi Gavin,

Are you mixing up Windows 7 with Windows XP?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Windows 7 will not be EOL until 2020 (and MS might even extend that
date, given the market share)

Apart from that, OpenOffice builds perfectly on Windows 10, the problem
is the compiler that was changed in the buildbot. We do need a specific
building environment.

> Builds break, upgrades of Operating Systems and their underlying software packages happen.
Our build systems will always be evolving so projects must learn to cope with this and ensure
their builds change with it.

Acknowledged.
Last week I set up a VM with Windows 10 and did successfully build AOO.
I would love to get our Windows buildbots running again.

> I would like to have all the OpenOffice builds fixed. So, please open INFRA tickets for
all broken builds where you see that INFRA needs to do something - install software etc. But
sitting around doing nothing is not going
> to get them fixed.

Oh yes, I see.
But looking at my last contact with Infra, someone else should open
those tickets... :-D

Regards, Matthias