openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Old AOO referencing in Google
Date Thu, 11 May 2017 19:20:29 GMT
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Hagar Delest <delest.hagar@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 10/05/2017 à 23:21, Marcus a écrit :
>
> I've deleted the webpage that is mentioned in the result page the user has
>> posted in the screenshot. As soon as Google is re-indexing our website I
>> expect that this special webpage is recognized as deleted and therefore no
>> longer in the search results.
>>
> I agree with others that the page itself should be kept to allow the
> download of older versions.

It should be restored ASAP since at the moment it makes the download page
deliver a 404 when v3.4.1 is requested from the dropdown. I've no access
otherwise I'd do it now.

> But perhaps there are keywords that can be removed to lower the relevance
> for a search.
> Or perhaps increase the visibility of the archived & legacy versions
> (quite hidden as a last link at bottom of the additional resources section).

Indeed, that was what I meant by "not promoting". At a minimum the page
should have a prominent warning that the versions in the table are very
old, legacy versions with known security issues and should not be used
unless the user is fully aware of what they are doing. That way anyone
clicking through to it from a search result will be sufficiently warned. We
should just rely on SEO.

S.