openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Templates and Extensions
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2017 18:54:55 GMT
On 3/21/17 2:23 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
>> On Mar 20, 2017, at 7:42 PM, Dave Brondsema <dave@brondsema.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/20/17 1:46 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> SourceForge has been very helpful to the OpenOffice community. But with the issues
seen in the other thread it may be time to explore what it would take to find an alternative
way to host the OpenOffice extensions and templates sites. We need to have quick support and
there is risk to the community not to have it.

>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I don't see how a different host would help with the lack of general Drupal
>> skills, or specific knowledge about the Templates and Extensions sites.  But
>> I'll be glad to answer your questions.  And to continue to hunt down any
>> technical problems in the other thread (so far they don't really seem to be that
>> widespread, might just some templates that aren't public).
>
> I am certainly thankful for all of the support the project has received from SourceForge.
It is awesome. I do have concerns. I am exploring the size of the site and whether or not
there might be a better way to handle this rather than being subject to the whims of a corporation
whose priorities have and will change. The final answer does not have to be Drupal. Or, I
might decide to learn Drupal. I am not sure.

>>> In order to begin an exploration of this it would be important to know the size
of the “problem”. A few questions about the scope.

>>> (1) How many downloads in a month and what is the pattern?
>>
>> 50-60,000 templates per month
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/files/stats/timeline?dates=2017-01-01+to+2017-03-21
>>
>> 45-90,000 extensions per month
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-extensions/files/stats/timeline?dates=2017-01-01+to+2017-03-21
>>
>> At those stats links you can explore over time, country, and platform.
>>
>>> (2) How many extensions are there?
>>
>> 3013
>>
>>> (3) How many templates?
>>
>> 50,339
>>
>>> (4) What scheme is used for login/security?
>>
>> SourceForge accounts are used to manage the aoo-templates and aoo-extensions
>> projects, which contain all the file releases and ssh/sftp access to web hosting
>> (apache/php/mysql).  The Drupal sites are separate, so have their own security.
>> I am not familiar with how it was developed, but I would imagine it is standard
>> Drupal security.
>
> How many template and extensions project owners?

Short answer: I don't know.  That is in the Drupal database, and I've looked
around but there are a lot of tables and I don't know their structure & use.  I
was able to get the total count of templates earlier because those are also
stored on disk and easy to count up.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal