openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Raphael Bircher" <rbircherapa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: future of OpenOffice
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2017 08:26:34 GMT
Hi Akos

Am .01.2017, 08:29 Uhr, schrieb Nagy Ákos <akos@romkat.ro>:

> Hi,
>
> it is impossible, because the LO license is LGPL+MPL, that can't be
> merged in OpenOffice.
As whole package yes, but you can ask individual contributors to put there
code to Apache License 2.0.

> The single way is that OpenOffice can merge in LibreOffice, more exactly
> the OpenOffice.org is redirected to LibreOffice.org, because the OO code
> is outdated compared with LO code.
How you know, the AOO Code is outdated? We maintain the code, as LO
maintain there code. Please come with facts.

> The LibreOffice brand now is more popular than OpenOffice, and some
> other facts: LibreOffice have few hundred new features that OO don't
> have, LibreOffice have a cloud suit (LibreOffice Online) etc.
> You can compare the development trends:

Libre Office is maybe popular at the Linux world, and even there exist
Users who kick LO and install OpenOffice. There are big features in LO who
simply shipped over to LO. Native SVG Import. Mac OS X 64 Bit port, and
the Sidebar for exemple. Many of the added Features are simply buddled
Extensions.

More feature dosen't mean a better product. If you add a load of new bugs
to the software in the same time, the user will not be happy.

> https://www.openhub.net/p/openoffice (include webpage and wiki)
> https://www.openhub.net/p/libreoffice (only application code)
>
> Based on financial reports, TDF has income equal to Apache Foundation,
> and TDF spend all money to LibreOffice, but Apache only a little part
> from their income spend for OO.
Apache spend more or less only the infrastructure. TDF and ASF are not
comparebel. ASF does not found individual projects at all. Not even the
ApacheCon is founded over ASF budget.

Regards, Raphael

Mein Blog: https://raphaelbircher.blogspot.ch