openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: <DKIM> Re: <DKIM> In regards to Open Office
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2016 20:04:38 GMT

Le 04/10/2016 à 06:50, Peter Kovacs a écrit :
> ODF has a better trancperency then OOXML. But beeing open we need to embrace and value
both formats.

This is the key point for AOO now IMHO.
I think there is a point having import filters to give users a way to open the files. Then
the natural thing would be to save in ODF.

That's what was done with OOXML: AOO can import but the code to export in OOXML is not activated.
it does exist somewhere but it has never been implemented by design.
My fear is: if AOO exports in OOXML (as LibO does), what will happen to ODF? Most users would
just use OOXML since it would be compatible with AOO and MS Office. It may lead to frustration
because of the glitches from the conversions. OTOH, it may attract new users.
Note: it may say that bugs like 1900 leap year bug in OOXML are accepted (except if it has
been fixed since).

If there was at least the possibility to store the information linked to the AOO features
in OOXML without triggering any "conversion" operation, it may be a 3rd way. Does OOXML allow
that? I doubt it but perhaps there is room in parts of the format that allow some kind of
customization. It would be sad however to lose the human readable structure of ODF (quite
useful in case a file is corrupted or when you need to inspect a file in detail).

Hagar