openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Thomas"<ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What Would OpenOffice Retirement Involve? (long)
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 09:08:24 GMT
On 2016-09-06 17:06 (+0100), Simos Xenitellis <simos.lists@googlemail.com> wrote:

Just responding to these specific bits with my Apache Brand Management Committee member hat
on.

> which claims that the Apache Foundation has the Apache OpenOffice™ and
> OpenOffice.org®.
> However, my search at the US Trademark database does not show an
> "Apache OpenOffice" registered trademark.

Which is as expected. Note the TM. That denotes that "Apache OpenOffice" is a trademark, just
not a registered one. It is a gross simplification but, for the ASF, it makes little/no difference
to our rights whether it is registered or not. Registration does make it easier to enforce
compliance should the trademark be infringed.

> It does show a live trademark for the old "OpenOffice.org" and also
> for "LibreOffice" (for The Document Foundation).
> But no "Apache OpenOffice".
> Anyone can file for a trademark for "Apache OpenOffice", as they have
> done already with the domain "ApacheOpenOffice.org".

If someone other than the ASF tried to register "Apache OpenOffice" as a trademark we would
oppose that registration and I am very confident we would be successful.

Domain registration is not trademark registration.

The registration of ApacheOpenOffice.org looks to be abusive. The Apache OpenOffice PMC has
some options for dealing with that. How they wish to proceed is a decision for them. Note
that such issues are generally dealt with in private, not public, so you are unlikely to see
a discussion about what to do about this specific issue on a public ASF mailing list.

Mark