openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What Would OpenOffice Retirement Involve? (long)
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 17:23:14 GMT
Hi Dennis,

I think that the appropriate place to keep this plan in whatever state it will be kept is
on one of our wikis. Should the time come to consider it seriously we won't have long email
threads to review which will lead to even longer threads.

Thanks for your consideration of my advice.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 7:55 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> I have been receiving private communications agitated about whether or not the ASF would
recommend a closed-source or commercial project as something someone might use as an alternative
to Apache OpenOffice in the event of retirement.  I'm asked whether or not prominent open-source
alternatives would be recommended.

> 1. It is premature to know what alternatives would be identified.  We are nowhere close
to that.  This is my thinking out-loud.  It is not something that the PMC is discussion or
considering.  There is no reason to work on such retirement details unless the need to go
further arises.  For now, this [DISCUSS] is about identification of what would be involved
and not something being put into action and detailed farther.

> 2. Nevertheless, as I have already stated, my recommendation would be to make no recommendation,
and especially not promote one over others using our automated check for updates.  Instead,
there could be a retirement advisory and recommendation that alternatives be considered.
That could lead to a web page like the one we now provide where third-parties who offer support,
other services, books, tutorials, etc., can be linked to, all without any endorsements.  One
approach would be to open that up for other providers of productivity software as well.  The
links would be to materials of those providers but there would be no recommendation.  There
might be minimal information (platforms, ODF formats supported, other formats supported, localizations,
extensions/templates available, but nothing deep - simple check-offs as offered by the providers).
 This remains to be identified and populated and there is need to figure out details now or
even agree on this approach.

> 3. I suspect that discussions about available software alternatives would arise on users@oo.a.o
and particularly on the Community Forums.  That would happen naturally without requiring the
project to take any positions or provide any kind of exclusivity of one provider over others.