openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Fallin <edfal...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Starting Introduction to Contributing to Apache OpenOffice Module
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2016 16:41:44 GMT
Hi there Phillip and Patricia —

Thanks for your e-mails.  Is now the right time not to send to all?  I’m happy to avoid
that but, I don’t want to be a lurker.

So, it’s interesting that some is C++ and some Java, and Yes I think the Java side will
be easy to pick up, but I’ll aim to work on both.  My contributions may not be massive,
but I will try to at least have a steadyish drip-drip-drip after ramp-up time.  Mixed metaphor.

I have a Mac and I have two Windows boxes, I don’t know the details but if people think
it’s worth it, maybe I could install a Linux partition on one of those.  I use Visual Studio,
now 2015 edition, and I’ve used Xcode with Obj-C and Swift a bit, but if there’s a free/ish
version of another IDE you recommend, I can install that.

Re where I live, it’s Los Angeles, in Koreatown which is central, near downtown.

I’ll start diving into “how to get started” on the site further, but any brief look-here
directions anyone is willing to offer will help, and if anyone is willing to say they’ll
provide (very brief) go-here help / a little extra review for C++, that would be great.  I
always work TDD or test-bound as I call it ( == test before any first use ), but I could miss
things.

Otherwise I’ll try to work solely from the join-lists direction and other advice on the
site.

PS, Love this:  This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM

Proceeding slowly but surely.
— Ed Fallin