openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: What would OpenOffice NON-retirement involve?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2016 16:25:39 GMT
On 9/2/2016 7:59 AM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> OK, counter-point to the other thread... let's talk specifically about what
> needs to happen next, given that some (plenty|most|all|???) of us want this
> project to
> continue moving forward.
>
> What has to happen next?  What is the most important thing/things we could
> be
> working on?  What could I do *right now* to help move things in a positive
> direction?
>
> How can we attract more developers?  How do we counter the FUD that is
> already being promulgated in response to the "retirement" discussion?
>  etc...

The "other thread" is actually liberating. Let's go public with the risk
that AOO will be shut down, despite the wishes and best efforts of its
remaining developers.

I would like to see every possible medium used to present one message:
"AOO is at serious risk of dying, unless we get more volunteer
developers, especially C++ programmers."

I know we need other skills as well, but I don't want to dilute or
complicate that message.

just for signing up and organizing new developers. No need for them to
start with dev@, especially the less experienced developers. Just send
an e-mail to recruitment@

The message should go out every way it can:

users@openoffice.apache.org
OpenOffice forums
Press release
members@apache.org
dev@community.apache.org

We should also strengthen the current download page appeal for
developers to state the risk of shut down.