openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Presence at ApacheCon Europe, November
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2016 14:25:21 GMT

On 9/3/2016 7:10 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hello guys;
>
> Before "the dramatic events of the last hours" I had already submitted a
> talk for this year's ApacheConEU (Sevilla is such a nice city to have a
> conference!).
>
> I understand that AOO people may feel discouraged now to attend but I
> don't really believe any form of boycott will serve the purpose of
> strengthening OpenOffice within the Apache Software Foundation. The best
> way to show support for the project is to engage with the wider ASF
> community, meet member of the Board and tell them that Apache OpenOffice
> is important. What the heck ... if we can't convince them ... get them
> drunk ;).
>
> I hereby suggest, and it's the easiest way to "save" the project AFAICT,
> that we release Apache OpenOffice 4.2.0 *during* ApacheConEU 2016.
>
> Just IMHO, with the latest updates (thanks truckman for the help) I
> think we are in pretty good shape for a Release; we could start making
> Release Candidates really soon now and make it so that we release the
> new version on November 16. Maybe it's a tight schedule but I also think
> we have been adding a lot of red tape to the process of making a
> release, which in theory is just a vote.

According to ASF release approval policy,
http://www.apache.org/dev/release#approving-a-release, "Before voting +1
PMC members are required to download the signed source code package,
compile it as provided, and test the resulting executable on their own
platform, along with also verifying that the package meets the
requirements of the ASF policy on releases."

That takes a bit more effort than "just a vote".

To some extent, it may conflict with ApacheConEU attendance, because
that will take PMC members away from their own platforms. Ideally, we
need to get the voting process done before those attending leave home.

Even though there is some publicity advantage to announcing at the
event, I would rather get the release out ASAP.