openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Planning for emergency releases
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2016 20:55:28 GMT

>> -----Original Message----- From: Patricia Shanahan
>> [mailto:pats@acm.org] Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:07 To:
>> dev@openoffice.apache.org Subject: Re: Planning for emergency
>> releases
>>
> [ ... ]
>>
>> Meanwhile, it is interesting for contemplating a ready-to-release
>> strategy. We would need to pick a step at which to hold a release
>> that minimizes the time to put in one critical fix and ship it.
> [orcmid]
>
> It strikes me that an always-existing candidate for a ready to
> release is the last-previous stable release.
>
> The biggest reason is that there only needs to be regression testing,
> since it is presumably well-established that said release is stable
> and that has been confirmed on the ground by the success of users.
>
> There could be something else that is close, but it strikes me that
> would probably be a pending maintenance release that is basically
> about bug fixes and any simple things.
>
> I note that, for changing the installer, something we would like to
> do, the rebuild of a stable release at least needs to be done and
> checked to see that the install produces the same result.  If that
> were tested to satisfaction, it would also qualify as a
> ready-to-release base without having to be put in the wild.

Personally, I would like to treat the last stable release as the base
for emergency fixes. I started out suggesting using the current patch as
an exercise to work through the process for doing that.

However, I have seen a lot of push back on the idea of ever doing a
release that only has one change.