openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [PACKAGING 4.1.2-patch1 Binaries] (was RE: [TESTING] Applying openoffice-4.1.2-patch1 for Windows)
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2016 15:29:49 GMT

[orcmid]

I think requiring Java is a deal breaker, especially on Windows where it is not installed
by default.  If we required Java for AOO, that would be different, but we don't do that and
we don't do anything to automate the user having the right Java bitness for AOO in the Windows
case.

Explaining how to find the AOO directory is half the problem.  Elevating privileges is the
other.  The third half is the easy-to-automate part although we need to provide something
that can be found easily that reflects the version of AOO installed.  This is something that
we need to fix in future releases.  (I think izpack should also handle finding the AOO directory
and privilege elevation.  It may be overkill though, although registry access might be useful.)

I have a batch script for Windows being unit tested.  There is also the prospect of a self-extracting/-executing
Zip on Windows.  (The batch script can be "Run as Administrator" so users can minimize the
pain of privilege elevation and this will show immediately if they are unable to provide administrator
credentials.

> If so I will continue to pursue this but may need so help with the
> scripts and testing.
[orcmid]

I can probably help with testing but can't invest much into izpack-ness.  Also, I am on Java
8 on my machines that have Java at the moment.