openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Donations?
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2016 02:53:13 GMT
I find this rather disturbing. Most non-profits to which I donate have
some provision for designating a subgroup to benefit from the money. For
example, if I write a check to "San Diego City College Foundation" and
write "Robotics" in the memo field, it shows up as money the San Diego
City College Robotics team can spend.

If Apache only manages funds on a whole foundation basis, I will
probably never add ASF to my donation list.

> Apache OpenOffice does not receive donations and does not manage a budget.
>
> It happens there are some funds "on-account" at the ASF that are available to OpenOffice.
 Those arrived in an unusual manner in the early history of the project.  That exception is
unlikely to repeat.

> Generally, the Apache Software Foundation has a budget and manages funds.  There are
treasurer reports in every monthly Board Report at the foundation level.  You can see those
at
>  <http://www.apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html>.
>
> In some case, projects can request that funds available for some purpose be expended
on behalf of the project.  For example, application for and renewal of trademark registrations
is done by requests to the VP Branding.  That VP will make requests for budget to cover anticipated
expenses of that kind.  Similarly, Infrastructure might be worked with to fund the contract
labor and any hardware and operating costs of build slaves dedicated for OpenOffice use.