openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Editing Download page
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:14:17 GMT
Am 07/22/2016 08:35 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> On 7/22/2016 11:05 AM, Marcus wrote:
>> Am 07/22/2016 07:45 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>>> I am trying to edit www.openoffice.org/download/ to add a box for
>>> recruiting developers. It seems to be a rather complicated page, with
>>> internationalization.
>>
>> yes, to give the L10n groups the possibility to translate their
>> webpages. But only the strings. Everything else should be the same look
>> & feel. Therefore the heavy use of scripting.
>
> The new box should probably follow conventions, but we really need
> written English competence for AOO developers, because this mailing list
> and a lot of the web pages are in English.

this is not mentioned in any way on the "get-involved.html" webpage.
Should we add this there also?

Of course no native speaker level is need. But somehow a level that
makes it not too difficult to communicate (mails, Bugzilla, source code
comments, etc.).

>>> If anyone is familiar with how to edit it, and has time to help me,
>>> please reply.
>>
>> Maybe you have overlooked my previous answer on your "Attracting new
>> developers" thread. ;-) I'll look on the weekend for the necessary
>> updates.
>
> I didn't interpret it as a commitment to do the changes, and I am in a
> Just Do It mood this week. If you can do the changes, great.
>
> The images etc. for an orange box are already there, are not currently
> being used, and I think orange would be an appropriate color. I would
> like to see it go fairly high up on the page, perhaps immediately above
> the "share" box.

OK, I'll take this into account. Unfortunately, the orange icon is the
one for a download and not the share icon.

> The key skills we need most urgently right now seem to be application
> build tools and C++ programming. Anything else?

My technical additions need a bit more time but in the meantime here are
my text suggestions:

Box headline:
"Developers Needed"

Box text:
"Are you a software developer with C++ skills or have you deeper
knowledge about building software? Do you like to work in open source
projects and you are familar with the English language? Then come to us
and help Apache OpenOffice to grow."

Box mouse-over:
"The Apache OpenOffice project need software developers to grow its base"

Not perfect but a start - for discussion and improvement.

Marcus