openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Roger Bentley" <roger.bent...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: A Question about Open Office Password Protected Text Documents
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 17:28:36 GMT
Dear Mr Jovanovic

Thank you very much for your email.

Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

With sincere regards

Roger Bentley

-----Original Message-----
From: Damjan Jovanovic
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2016 3:29 PM
To: Apache OO
Subject: Re: A Question about Open Office Password Protected Text Documenets

Hi Roger

If you saved them in OpenOffice's default format, OpenDocument (.odt / .ods
/ .odb etc.), then yes. Password protection is part of the OpenDocument
standard, and should be supported by us and other OpenDocument software
such as AbiWord, Gnumeric, Microsoft Office, etc. for a long time. The
encryption techniques are all well documented and use common well
established ciphers, hash functions and password strengthening procedures.

With long term storage, the problem won't be data becoming inaccessible due
to encryption (provided you remember your passwords), so much as the
opposite problem, of data becoming too easily accessible, since older
versions of OpenDocument used weaker encryption ciphers, potentially making
document encryption too easy to crack by future weaknesses discovered in
those ciphers and with more powerful computers in the future.

Regards
Damjan