openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the right trademark labeling for AOO
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2016 15:42:48 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 2:34 AM, Jörg Schmidt <joesch@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the AOO-Logo (for example see in the Header of the site
> http://www.openoffice.org/) the trademark labeling is:
>
> Apache OpenOffice™
>
> But on site http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/list/ i can read this:
>
> "APACHE® is registered in Australia, Norway, Switzerland, Japan, Brazil,
> and is pending in other countries, as our house mark symbolizing our high
> quality community-led, volunteer built software products provided for the
> public good.
>
> [...]
>
> OPENOFFICE®, OPENOFFICE.ORG® and the gull logo are registered or pending
> in Canada, the EU/CTM, Israel, the US, and other countries, for our widely
> popular suite of office productivity applications, including Writer, Calc,
> Impress, Draw, and more."
>

> So my question is:
> what is the correctly labeling of Apache OpenOffice (in Germany and
> Europe)?
>
> Apache OpenOffice™?
>
> Apache® OpenOffice™?
>
> Apache® OpenOffice®?
>
> Or a different notation?
>

> Greetings,
> Jörg

​Good questions. In the US, there is a differentiation between the use of
the "TM" symbol, for common-use terms, and the "R" symbol for registered
trademarks.​

​ For "Apache OpenOffice", the product, you should use:

​Apache OpenOffice™

In this case the complete product name, Apache OpenOffice, is a common use
trademark.

The ASF has applied for a registered trademark of OpenOffice, formerly held
by Sun//Oracle. When that is complete, we will be able to use:

Apache OpenOffice®

MzK

"Time spent with cats is never wasted."
                                -- Sigmund Freud