openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the right trademark labeling for AOO
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2016 15:29:44 GMT

On 06/28/2016 05:49 AM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> ​Good questions. In the US, there is a differentiation
>> between the use of
>> the "TM" symbol, for common-use terms, and the "R" symbol for
>> registered
>> trademarks.​
>
> Yes, clear.
>
>> ​ For "Apache OpenOffice", the product, you should use:
>>
>> ​Apache OpenOffice™
>>
>> In this case the complete product name, Apache OpenOffice, is
>> a common use
>> trademark.
>
> OK, i understand. I will use this notation.
>
>> The ASF has applied for a registered trademark of OpenOffice,
>> formerly held
>> by Sun//Oracle. When that is complete, we will be able to use:
>>
>> Apache OpenOffice®
>
> So Apache has the rights to "Open Office" already applied and it is currently only a
question of bureaucracy to Apache receives this?
> (With "bureaucracy" i mean only that no one blocks the claim of Apache legally.)

Basically, yes. And it's OpenOffice, not Open Office. I only point this
out due to confusion this has caused in the past.

> The trademark of "OpenOffice" from SUN/Oracle was abandoned in DE, see:
> https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/register/300514859/DE
> and for the EU, I see so far no entry.

Each country has its own trademark registration process. We have applied
for trademark registration in this US, and perhaps other countries. I
would need to look at previous discussions on this, of which there are
many! We appreciate the information you provide for Germany. At some
point, we may move for an official trademark registration change there also.