openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: A Question about Open Office Password Protected Text Documenets
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2016 18:56:41 GMT
I forgot something important.

By default, Apache OpenOffice, as recently as AOO 4.1.2, does *not* use any encryption methods
other than those that have been used since ODF 1.0 in 2005.  So statements about more-advanced
methods do not apply for AOO.

I believe AOO will accept (some of) the additional parameters defined for encrypted documents
with ODF 1.2, but AOO does not produce such encryptions on documents saved-with-password.

 - Dennis

CONFIRMATION

I created a simple saved-with-password .odt using AOO 4.1.2 Writer.  My options for this were
with

  Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > ODF format version > 1.2 extended
(recommended).

When I specified Save with Password, there are no options to choose anything with regard to
how that is done.

When I inspected the .odt via Zip, the manifest.xml reveals the following about encryption
of the first file in the manifest:

    <manifest:file-entry manifest:media-type=""
          manifest:full-path="Configurations2/accelerator/current.xml"
          manifest:size="0">
       <manifest:encryption-data manifest:checksum-type="SHA1/1K"
             manifest:checksum="aIk0hF8iBJyxRmiDLvoz1FATtrk=">
          <manifest:algorithm manifest:algorithm-name="Blowfish CFB"
                manifest:initialisation-vector="z1+sKXAdisg="/>
            <manifest:key-derivation
                manifest:key-derivation-name="PBKDF2"
                manifest:key-size="16" manifest:iteration-count="1024"
                manifest:salt="j5Q3whB6efMbTNEzdCUXvw=="/>
            <manifest:start-key-generation
                manifest:start-key-generation-name="SHA1"
                manifest:key-size="20"/>
        </manifest:encryption-data>
    </manifest:file-entry>

This is the default approach since ODF 1.0.

I was able to open this document in both AOO 4.1.2 (with the password I created), and also
in LibreOffice 5.0.0.  I resaved the document from LibreOffice into a new file, reusing the
same password.  I was able to open that document in AOO 4.1.2 with that password too.

The LibreOffice 5.0.0 encryption is different.  Here is how the manifest.xml in the LibreOffice
saved file reports the encryption parameters for the same document part as above:

    <manifest:file-entry
          manifest:full-path="Configurations2/accelerator/current.xml"
          manifest:media-type="" manifest:size="0">
       <manifest:encryption-data
             manifest:checksum-type="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:manifest:1.0#sha256-1k"

             manifest:checksum="m0+yTt1tHYgw4nI5gmPNvwJrlzksw1OHuZHcAkimKPk=">
          <manifest:algorithm
               manifest:algorithm-name="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#aes256-cbc"
               manifest:initialisation-vector="6b3kaGTPf2NojfuqUuWB0Q=="/>
          <manifest:key-derivation manifest:key-derivation-name="PBKDF2"
               manifest:key-size="32" manifest:iteration-count="1024"
               manifest:salt="0CqgmPu70W4LMqthD9qQzQ=="/>
          <manifest:start-key-generation
               manifest:start-key-generation-name="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha256"

               manifest:key-size="32"/>
        </manifest:encryption-data>
    </manifest:file-entry>

The differences are mainly use of SHA256 instead of SHA1 and the use of AES256 instead of
Blowfish.

The most-vulnerable aspects are the manifest:key-derivation technique and the manifest:start-key-generation.
 The manifest:iteration-count of 1024 is negligible.  Oh, and the unencrypted stream, Configurations2/accelerator/current.xml,
is completely known already.