openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [HELP NEEDED] old Solaris related build issues
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 16:17:33 GMT
Am 04/05/2016 01:51 AM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> On 4/4/2016 2:59 PM, Marcus wrote:
>> Am 04/04/2016 11:30 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>> In any case, since we don't currently have "official"
>>> distros for Solaris -- I would be content changing all these
>>> issues to ENHANCEMENT rather than DEFECT.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> I think this wouldn't change the actual problem: Somebody has to do the
>> change in the code. We have neglected this platform and this is IMHO
>> also one reason that we don't offer any builds anymore.
>>
>> Let's see what Patricia will say about the effort she sees.
>
> I think Apostolos Syropoulos makes a strong case for using gcc in
> preference to SunStudio.
>
> A lot depends on whether the changes suggested in the article
> https://asyropoulos.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/compiling-openoffice4/
> still work. It was last modified in 2014. I can't determine that very
> easily without experimenting.

should be easy for him to tell us. ;-)

> If the rest of the PMC wants me to make the effort, I would request a

Of course it's your decision. But if it's not that much effort IMHO it
is worth to do the compiler change.

> Solaris ssh account from Adfinis, check out the current trunk there,
> check/apply all available Solaris patches, including the switch to gcc,
> and attempt a build. If the patches work, and pass inspection, I would
> commit them to svn.

OK, sounds good.

> If that all works, I could continue to review, test, and check in
> patches suggested by people working on Solaris. Would I need AOO
> BugZilla issues supporting my changes?

I suggest to use a BZ issue for the initial work. On the the basis of
the coming patches and the documentation of the work alone it makes
sense to do the little extra step. For other things after that we have
to see again.

Marcus