openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: [HELP NEEDED] old Solaris related build issues
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 09:28:01 GMT
Am 04/04/2016 11:14 AM, schrieb Απόστολος Συρόπουλος:

>> one problem of integrating patches is that you need to test them if the
>> trunk builds are still OK or if some adjustments are necessary. However,
>> AFAIK no developer has a Solaris machine under the desk and therefore
>> it's not a good idea to commit fixes when you don't know what the
>> results are. ;-)
>
> Look the people of LibreOffice have abandoned SunStudio and have
> included such patches in their source tree and now LibreOffice
> compiles just fine. In fact, OpenIndiana has a LibreOffice package.

yes, that's nice. But you shouldn't commit fixes without a possibility
to test if it was good. Would you? ;-)

>> That's also the reason why the build environment still uses Sun Studio
>> and nothing else - instead or additional.
>
> When I tried to compile with SunStudio I realized that the building
> tools require a really ancient version of the compiler that has no
> provision for language constructs, etc., that are included in the code.
> For example, the template library is ancient and does not include
> things that the source code expects. So practically it is next to
> impossible to compile OpenOffice with SunStudio. Since you
> are not going to change your mind, better remove all Solaris bits
> so the make the code cleaner. Fortunately, the LibreOffice
> people are more open-minded...

Nobody has said we don't do it and they are not more open-minded.

It's simply a fact that we have no experts for Solaris and no testing
hardware.

If we would have it, then we would build and test the code. Or if
someone else is taking this over. So, maybe you want to help us? We are
open for this. :-)

Marcus