openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Can we add the value "N/A" to the Target Milestone field
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:21:57 GMT
Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
>> wrote:
>
>> I want to clarify this.
>>
>> I think the problem might be that "Resolved - Fixed" is being used
>> incorrectly. As far as I know, there are many cases where this resolution
>> is used where one of "Resolved - Not an Issue" (though not too often),
>> "Resolved - Irreproducible", "Resolved - Won't Fix", or "Resolved -
>> Obsolete" should be used.
>>
>> Is that what you are seeing, Kay?
>>

> ​Well  maybe so. In the past, I have used RESOLVED-FIXED to determine
> what's been committed to our source, thus leading to a Target Release.
> Yesterday, I started going through RESOLVED-FIXED items to be sure some of
> these fixed issued did have a Target Release. Some of these RESOLVED-FIXED
> issues seem to be either user support issues/questions that do not entail
> source code corrections at all, or similar type situations. In one of the
> cases I sited above, I think the issue originator marked it with
> RESOLVED-FIXED, and really i don't know if this was the right thing to do
> or not.

Kay, what you had been doing I believe is the right approach to take for
the use of Resolved-Fixed. It means that there was a problem with our
software that was fixed and committed to SVN and is available for the
next appropriate level of Release.

> So, we can use the new NONE (thank you Marcus!) as the Target Release, or
> do something else to ignore these types of issues for verification in a
> build.
> The problem is stemming from the use of BZ as both a code centric problem
> reporting mechanism and a user support tool.
> ​

You are right on that. Historically Bugzilla was used strictly to track
items that were issues with the OpenOffice software itself, and not for
use as a user support venue. That is why we had and still have the
support forums and the user mailing list. IMHO it is perfectly correct
to to use Resolved-Not An Issue to close purely support issues.

Keith