openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Releasing the Apache OpenOffice API plugin for NetBeans
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2016 17:37:38 GMT
On 20/03/2016 Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> The issue is whether it is ASF distributed software, for which ASF
> trademarks can appropriately be used. I think it is and should continue
> to be ASF distributed software.

So far we've adopted another approach: it is a development tool meant to
ease OpenOffice development, but it is 100% unrelated to the "real"
OpenOffice source code. And we've let Carl release it (in the sense of
making it available on netbeans.org) under lazy consensus.

I see four options:

1) Carl moves his sources to Github, Gitlab, Sourceforge, you name it,
and he does his releases from there. This is a Netbeans plugins focused
on the OpenOffice API, so I'm not even sure we have a say about the
trademarks, but a lazy consensus would settle it. I don't like this
option since moving stuff out of the project is bad in general.

2) We go for the full release vote, but this is a serious process, much
more than what is needed for this tool. If one really wants to do it
right, you need a release manager, binding votes, sources in dist/, GPG
signing the way the ASF wants it, old sources preserved in the ASF
archives...

3) We recognize that http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ has
different areas, and that not all of them should be subject to the same
policy. Just like I don't call a release vote when I change a web page
(the full site is hosted under that tree, so technically I am making a
"website release" every time I update a page), we could recognize that
everything in devtools/ is just a set of tools that we can make
available with lazy consensus and no need for a formal release. This is
my favorite option.

4) When we make a "real" OpenOffice release, we include the devtools (or
some devtools) source in it, so that the whole set has the blessing of
the project. This could work too, at least in the long term.

Regards,
   Andrea.