openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] ApacheCon
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2016 13:40:48 GMT
On 17/03/2016 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I thought about it, since the travel part is easy.
> I decided to avoid the expense of the conference and accomodations and stay home though.

ApacheCon would be a quite appropriate usage of our travel funds. If the
reason for you not to attend ApacheCon is the expense (and if you can
travel easily to it) I suggest that we look into using the travel funds.
The fact that we never used them so far is more a mistake than a
virtuous example.

It is useful to meet with the Board and with Infra, for example. I can
surely say that if I hadn't attended ApacheCon in early October 2015 we
wouldn't have had OpenOffice 4.1.2 released later that month, since we
needed to do some work sitting together with Infra.

If access to conference is the problem, I still believe that the
entrance fee is high for a volunteer, but there are significant
discounts for committers and also options for attending only part of the
conference. We can surely cover a presence at ApacheCon (if not a full
attendance).

Regards,
   Andrea.