openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: AOO Governance (was RE: Next release and gbuild)
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:04:12 GMT
Am 03/18/2016 03:18 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> When I was working I gave up some of my freedom to do what I wanted in
> exchange for being paid to do what other people told me.
>
> I retired when I had accumulated enough investments that the financial
> improvement from the money Sun was paying me no longer outweighed the
> benefit of being able to decide for myself what to do with my time. My
> 10 a.m. horseback riding lesson this morning will be far higher priority
> than OpenOffice debug.
>
> I do not see being a "Release Manager" as carrying any authority at all
> over others. I might need to persuade, suggest, beg, and plead, but I
> would not expect to be able to compel, not even to the limited extent I
> could when I was a project leader in industry.

exactly. There is no disciplinary power in the role of a release
manager. It's more a role - instead of a job title - to make sure that a
release will happen.

You can a) do all things alone, b) do some tasks together with a team or
c) nearly nothing except to pull the strings to make sure there will be
a release at all. I think you would prefer point b).

> If the term "Release Manager" is creating an idea of a job something
> like being a manager in industry, maybe we need a more realistic term
> such as "Keeper of the Release Checklist".

BTW:
There is already one [1] in case you don't know yet.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Release+Planning+Template

Marcus