openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AOO Governance (was RE: Next release and gbuild)
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2016 20:00:03 GMT
Hello;

I don't know (or care) what donaldupre meant by that "holacracy"
thing but the ASF does have clear governance structures.

Concerning a Release Manager I found this:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#release_manager

"The common practice at Apache is for a single individual to take
responsibility for the mechanics of a release."

Note that that common practice doesn't make it mandatory (although
pretty much a hint in the right direction). However the link also
states:

"Release managers do the work of pushing out releases. However, release
managers are not ultimately responsible."

I brought the subject the release management being done by a group of
people before the previous release based on some older document from
the apache httpd project, I will not repeat again that idea, but I think
that instead of focusing on find ing one brave sould to do everything,
the community would do better to focus on a *group* doing things.

If one person bears all the responsibilities including building for Mac,
Windows and Linux then it is going to be increasingly difficult
to find a new release manager each time.

What is also increasingly clear to me is that a release won't happen
immediately soon, even when technically we would be ready for one.

Pedro.