openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Posting Alert Message Experimentation
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2016 08:13:49 GMT
On 11/03/2016 Marcus wrote:
> Am 03/11/2016 09:59 PM, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
>> That didn't work very well.  Especially since the two services were back
>  > up relatively quickly, faster than the messages were of any use.
> have you setup the alert message to be sent to your mail account? Then
> you could wait for some minutes before forwarding to these mailing lists.

It is almost always useless to forward those messages to the list. The
noise is very high. Especially simultaneous messages about both wiki and
forum being down are symptoms of a problem that is not server-specific
(the two services are on different servers), usually some maintenance
operation by Infra that, as it happened, will be completed within a few
minutes.

>  > You can also check Local Project Services at
>  > http://status.apache.org/pubsub/manage.cgi

This is the recommended way for people to subscribe to alerts: all you
need is an e-mail address. We could have chosen to subscribe the lists
to alerts, but it doesn't make sense in light of the above considerations.

Regards,
   Andrea.