openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Palmer <mpalme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issues building Apache OOo from source on Debian Jessie
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:49:54 GMT
Hello Andrea,

thanks for replying.

On 08/03/16 04:01 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Michael Palmer wrote:
>> I just tried to build Apache OOo (current SVN trunk, checked out last
>> night) from source. I generated the main/configure script and started
>
> Good! Welcome to OpenOffice.
>
>> Questions/issues:
>> 1. I noticed that the options
>> --disable-odk, --disable-gnome-vfs, and --disable-gtk, while described
>> in the help, failed with
>> -disable-gtk: command not found
>
> Strange. Can you paste the exact syntax you used to call configure?

OK. That error is spurious. I simply forgot a line continuation
character when I collected the options in a little wrapper script.

> This
> seems like a wrong concatenation of options. You can also share your
> config.log file on pastebin or similar site. I've tried adding
> "--disable-gtk" to my options for ./configure and configure ran
> successfully.

Yes, with the line continuation character in place, the options are
recognized. Sorry for the noise.

>> 2. I rather would not build all of Openoffice; I only want to fix the
>> included Python interpreter and pyuno library.
>
> The build system is complex, to say it nicely, and I can't help you with
> partial builds. Maybe someone else will have something to say on this.

OK

>> Since the OOo build system already contains a
>> --with-system-python flag, would it be possible to set that flag for
>> compiling the Debian packages?
>
> Our policy for the Linux binaries we release through the openoffice.org
> site is to limit system dependencies to the bare minimum.

I do see the point in general, although the Debian system is rather
monolithic, and I think Python is installed by default anyway.

> The binaries
> we ship will thus be self-contained enough for running on virtually
> every Linux distribution.

OK. May I still suggest that the bundled Python be built with the flag

--enable-unicode=ucs4

and pyuno with the same or an equivalent setting? That would match the
system Python on Debian and, as far as I can see, all other major Linux
distributions, and it might help to make the bundled Python and pyuno
compatible with system Python and libraries.

Thanks very much for your help, and best wishes

Michael

> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Michael Palmer