openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Profile.c bugs (was RE: Some thoughts on the learning curve)
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 18:24:45 GMT
On 3/4/2016 9:39 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Patricia,
>
> Based on Damjan's finding that profile files are read by the
> application and that some are created during setup, with others
> copied in from the setup, it is settled that the code is used in
> current distributions and is also available to extensions.
>
> I recommend that we catch our breath over the weekend, take a fresh
> look at what we know, and then make that smallest repair that will
> work.
>
> I would defer any extensive threading analysis and work on more
> pressing maintenance issues first, especially since the UDK is
> snarled up in this.  It's worthwhile but other priorities deserve our
> attention.

 From my point of view there are benefits to me continuing to work on
threading analysis.

Threading leverages my existing expertise in multiprocessor/multithread
issues, and therefore might be a good general area for me to work on.

I find it very, very difficult to study a large system in the abstract.
I need a question I can get my teeth into to inspire reading, grep, etc.
Learning my way around AOO is key to me becoming productive on it. "Why
is the 'unx' code bristling with pthread_mutex calls but the 'w32'
version does not seem to have anything similar?" is just the right sort
of question to hold my attention. Maybe the 'w32' version needs
synchronization it lacks. Maybe it has a simpler way of controlling
access to the profile that could be copied for 'unx'. I want to know,
and finding out will lead to me learning how AOO works.

I am wary of the "smallest repair" strategy. It tends to avoid ever
throwing anything out, leading to clutter, and ultimately
unmaintainability.

Patricia