openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Profile.c bugs (was RE: Some thoughts on the learning curve)
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 16:26:37 GMT
>> -----Original Message----- From: Patricia Shanahan
>> [mailto:pats@acm.org]
>> I am curious about whether it started out with pthread_mutex uses
>> and lost them along the way, or whether that difference between unx
>> and w32 is primordial.
> [orcmid]
>
> You made me look :).  Apparently sal/osl/w32/profile.cxx sprang
> primordially from the earth on 2010-01-29.  I have to believe there
> was an older one, possibly named profile.c but deleted and not shown
> in the bitbucket.

BitBucket does have the original w32 profile.c, and I accidentally found
a way of accessing it. This may be useful for other software archeology
expeditions. It may not be the best or simplest way, just something that
works.

Begin from
https://bitbucket.org/mst/ooo340/src/8b564af029aa60259c0d133d7dc37468ef56e4b5/sal/inc/osl/profile.h

Select the initial import version of profile.h. Now you have BitBucket
thinking back to 2000.

Go up to ooo340/sal, and down again to ooo340/sal/osl/w32. You will now
see the list of w32 file names as they were in 2000, including profile.c
rather than profile.cxx.

The original profile.c includes a log going back to "Revision 1.1
1997/07/17 11:02:31".

Do you read German? Some of the log entries are in German, and I don't
have much faith in machine translation of very short snippets of
technical material.

There are mentions of "locking" but I am reasonably sure that means file
locking rather than pthread_mutex.

Patricia