openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Profile.c bugs (was RE: Some thoughts on the learning curve)
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 19:11:54 GMT
Patricia,

I do not want to discourage scratching an itch that is important to you.

I do need to express my concern for the limited capacity that we have for development work,
and I have done that.  Everyone is a volunteer, and at the end of the day we will have whatever
we have.

Enough said.  I admire your work and enjoy very much our dance through the profile.c threading
issues, and also the Windows build setup, if the opportunity returns.

 - Dennis

Side comments:

Starting with the least that can possibly work is an important principle for software maintenance,
where the greatest fear is a hopeless regression or, worse for open-source especially, an
incomplete effort for which the prize is not attained.

It does not mean that major architecture and feature matters cannot also be addressed.  But
the users won't wait forever to have their bad experiences cured and timely interim solutions
(and workarounds) are important.

In my youth, I took the reverse approach a few times.  It did not go well.  I am very incremental
and iterative in approaches now, even with what can grow into large efforts.  Working with
a monster existing code base which may have some significant bit rot is another story.  Heroism
won't carry the day.  I am striving to not be too discouraged about that.