openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Profile.c bugs (was RE: Some thoughts on the learning curve)
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 17:39:41 GMT
Damjan,

A question below.

[ ... ]
> main/sal/rtl/source/bootstrap.cxx uses osl::Profile().readString() in
> 1 place. osl::Profile found in main/sal/inc/osl/profile.hxx is a thin
> C++ wrapper around the C API. That seems to be the extent of the usage
> of the profile API in SVN trunk. I can't remember where else I found
> them, but on
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/WritingUNO/Manua
> l_Component_Installation
> there is a brief mention of these ini/rc files that I suspect are
> parsed by the profile API. Examples are in the program/ directory of
> the AOO installation (there is quite a few, all ending in ".ini" on
> Windows and "rc" elsewhere, eg. uno.ini/unorc).
[ ... ]
[orcmid]

On modern installations of Windows, the Program Files (x86) folder is read/read-execute only
and requires UAC approval to be written to, in general.

Looking at my machine, I see that only setup.ini and soffice.ini were created at the time
of 4.1.2 installation (2015-11-10 for the one I am looking at) and the remainder, including
bootstrap.ini, were copied directly from the setup itself and have earlier time stamps (mostly
2015-10-21 when the RC was built).

That answers the question about whether these are actually produced/used.  Indeed they are.

Thanks, Damjan, this clears up a great deal.