openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: AOO Governance (was RE: Next release and gbuild)
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2016 16:41:58 GMT
It seems we're having a nomenclature problem here.  At the ASF "Release Manager" and "Release
Management" are narrow, specific terms.  AOO release management does not involve any abstraction
that includes supervision of work and especially not supervision of workers.

This may be more helpful with regard to the narrow use of the term at the ASF:

<http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html>, along with

<http://apache.org/dev/release.html>.

Note that any committer (with a registered PGP signature) can pull together a release, although
it is the PMC that is responsible for assuring its acceptability and approval.  Acceptability
is also in specific, narrow terms.  See the rules for voting on releases and what those who
vote approval are required to have done.  Read from <http://apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release>
down to just before the Release Distribution topic.

One might advocate other ways projects operate.  Such different approaches to governance and
execution are unavailable to projects of the Apache Software Foundation.  The ASF has no issue
with how projects operate elsewhere.  It just won't be at the ASF.

 - Dennis