openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][POLICY?] Lost Features When Saving to ODF
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2016 00:56:47 GMT
Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Patricia,
>
> I share your disdain for rubber-stamp feature-loss warnings.  It
> arouses FUD and does not help users, especially concerning their
> expectations for support of Microsoft formats.

Dennis; Let us remember that those warnings have been in OpenOffice
since at least the beta for version 2 that I am aware of, and most
likely before. Then all of the Microsoft formats were proprietary and
support of them was based on whatever specs Microsoft chose to release
and reverse engineering. Support of those older binary formats has
vastly improved over the years, but is still not perfect. Since AOO does
not yet write the newer Microsoft XML based formats the old binary ones
are all we have for collaboration with many Microsoft users.

Keith