openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release Java Bootstrap Connector via Maven
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2016 00:18:25 GMT
Hi Pedro,

On 02/12/2016 09:56 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Carl;
>
> I am not objecting your initiative (plus my vote is not binding
> anyways), however ...

That's okay, mine neither ;)

> It would seem to me that we shouldn't be voting for things outside
> the regular AOO releases. In other words, do we really need this
> distributed now or can't we just wait and release it along with AOO
> 4.2.0?
Personally I would prefer to not vote on such things like this but that
seemed to be the consensus when I brought it forward for discussion [1].

The main reason I want to release this to Maven like the Java UNO jars
recently is it allows Groovy scripts and unit tests to have client
access to AOO without all of the special Jar manifest classloader stuff
needed by Java UNO clients like are generated with the NetBeans plugin.

Then we can also run functional tests on the Groovy UNO Extension
without copying the jar manually to the file system.

> Also, shouldn't the groovy UNO support be on the main AOO tree?

This is the next one I hope to bring to Maven and open new doors to
client development with Groovy.

I plan to do a lot of active development on the Groovy UNO Extension and
will need to deploy updates via Maven sooner than our AOO releases come out.

If it is of value to include in the distribution for macros, or whatever
then I'm all for it. I just haven't done any Groovy macro work yet and
don't know if this helps with that or not.

My main focus has been on external client apps.  I would like to discuss
other uses.

Could the AOO build also download a jars from Maven to include in a
specific distribution of AOO?

> Pedro.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoffice.apache.org/msg26405.html

Thanks,