openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AOO build system upgrades
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2016 23:17:43 GMT

> On 2/9/2016 2:11 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> == HELP, TOO MANY MAKEFILES ==
>>
>> I started looking at what's been done so far. And, due to the fact
>> that dmake also uses makefiles, what's the correct way to invoke GNU
>> make for a build? It looks like the "main" makefile for what's been
>> migrated so far is /main/Module_ooo.mk (?)
>>
>> Is there any way to test our actual make file changes on a per
>> module basis?
>
> From
> http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Makefile-Arguments

> 9.1 Arguments to Specify the Makefile
>
> The way to specify the name of the makefile is with the ‘-f’ or
> ‘--file’ option (‘--makefile’ also works). For example, ‘-f altmake’
> says to use the file altmake as the makefile.
>
> If you use the ‘-f’ flag several times and follow each ‘-f’ with an
> argument, all the specified files are used jointly as makefiles.
>
> If you do not use the ‘-f’ or ‘--file’ flag, the default is to try
> GNUmakefile, makefile, and Makefile, in that order, and use the
> first of these three which exists or can be made (see Writing
> Makefiles).
>
> It looks as though you can call your file "GNUmakefile" and it will
> be used even if there is also a "makefile" or "Makefile". You could
> alternatively pick a different naming convention and use "-f", but I
> recommend against it. Calling your file "GNUmakefile" will give
> subsequent developers a very useful clue.
>
> Patricia

Thanks for the response Patricia. I know we  make use of recursive
makefiles, but I just couldn't see where the top most makefile was
for the gnu make (gbuild) scenario was for some reason.

The wiki page on build system analysis:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis

gives  instructions for proceeding but omitted the important factor
on what the name of the topmost makefile  was. In the end, ta! da!,
it is in fact named "GNUmakefile" in trunk/main. ( I guess I'm
blind!) So, all good for now. I will update the wiki page with what
I've found so far.