openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts on a new build system for AOO
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2016 19:38:24 GMT
Hi Damjan and others;

Indeed a new build system is very desirable but it is difficult to
choose one. I agree that choosing one which we already have a need
for in dependencies is wise.

FWIW, I looked into some of the options myself:

- Google's Bazel looked very promising:
http://bazel.io/
But it lacks support for Windows at this time.

- CMake has been chosen by LLVM, and by a bunch of projects that need
to be built cross platform. There was an aborted attempt for OOo:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/OpenOffice_CMake_Integration
CMake, I understand, has been evolving a lot though.

- FreeBSD and NetBSD share a powerful bsd make utility. FreeBSD
is still in the adoption process, and I can't say at this time
how it compares with gbuild:
http://www.bsdcan.org/2014/schedule/events/460.en.html

I haven't looked at scons and I am not objecting to it. Certainly
anything is better than Dmake. My only comments, referring to
Python, are:

- We have somewhat of a chicken and egg problem now with Python as
the build system is making it difficult to update our copy to
something like 2.7.11 that supports newer Windows compilers.

- One thing I would like to see at some stage is the possibility of
using native windows tools like IronPython and Strawberry Perl
instead of the cygwin stuff.

Pedro.