openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Building on Windows
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:40:31 GMT
On 2/2/2016 9:25 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Patricia Shanahan <pats@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> OpenGrok looks and sounds like something I should learn about.
>>
>> I think my next step is to look into the state of python. Matters may have
>> been complicated because I did a "dmake clean" after changing my configure
>> parameters to use a 32 bit JDK, before continuing the steps from configure
>> on.
>>

> Yes, I think "dmake clean" requires re-running configure, bootstrap, source
> winenv.set.sh and only then build.
>

>> There may be a pause - I have some non-programming stuff to do today and
>> tomorrow morning.
>>
>> Thanks for all the help. Posting immediately on hitting a problem is
>> definitely getting faster progress than when I tried to puzzle things out
>> for myself first.
>>

> It's a pleasure, sorry it's so hard, and thank you for your perseverance
> through this building nightmare.

I hope that I'll later be able to use the log I'm creating through these
e-mail messages to add a section to the build documents on what can go
wrong, how to prevent it, and what to do afterwards. That may make the
process easier in the future.

> I think Sun Microsystems really had a knack for "comedy build systems" as
> someone described them. OpenJDK was similarly painful to compile,
> especially when they first open-sourced it.

I used to work for Sun, but as a large server architect, not on the Java
or StarOffice side of things. If you think software builds are bad, try
making changes to the design of an ASIC.