openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject FW: [ApacheCon NA] Client Track
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2016 22:46:53 GMT
It is interesting how Cordova and Flex are different, but are concerned with client-facing
technologies.

Apache OpenOffice is probably the most heavily-client project that the ASF has, and Corinthia,
had it endured, would be somewhere between these two kinds of client worlds.

I can imagine an AOO-related contribution to a client-side track at ApacheCon NA.  For example,
one could address the challenges of the changing faces of platforms and cloud-supported apps,
for example, perhaps even a panel discussion.

There is always the question of how AOO could pivot to this new world of ecosystems, app stores,
and distributed operation.  It raises the question of whether and how it should provide tooling
and reference implementations but not deliver integrated solutions, leaving that to downstream
consumers, while sustaining the desktop-exclusive client pretty much as it is, working from
standard file formats.

ApacheCon NA (North Americal) is in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, on May 11-13, 2016.

The instructions for submitting talk proposals are at
<http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-north-america/program/cfp>.

The deadline for initial proposals is in one week, Friday, February 12.

If a panel discussion format were proposed, all of the panelists need to be identified in
the proposal.

 - Dennis