openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS][POLICY?] Lost Features When Saving to ODF
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2016 19:46:03 GMT
Patricia,

I share your disdain for rubber-stamp feature-loss warnings.  It arouses FUD and does not
help users, especially concerning their expectations for support of Microsoft formats.

This is apparently a tit-for-tat activity between Microsoft Office and the OpenOffice.org
family.

The message that AOO uses is nearly a literal version of what the Microsoft Office software
puts up when a non-native Save is requested [;<).  So we mirror their worst feature.

It is interesting that when Microsoft Office documents have features that cannot be preserved
with full fidelity (i.e., uploading to OneDrive and accessing via Office Web or mobile application
versions) by MSO variants, there are specific warnings in the case of such recognized feature-loss
if the document is edited.

 - Dennis

PS: One of my dreams about interoperable use among standard formats and known profiles of
conformance would be to have a processor that actually identified the features that are not
preservable and allowed user review of the consequences before doing anything irreversible.
 And also finding ways to make things not so irreversible.  I said dream. It is probably beyond
my grasp and I doubt such a prospect could be grafted into AOO.  My thinking is that one would
have to architect and design for that from the very beginning.