openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Thoughts on a new build system for AOO
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2016 19:42:38 GMT
Thanks Fernando,

GYP does look interesting, at a high level.  I notice it is hosted at Google and not completely
spun out as an open-source project. Still ...

There is an interesting mention of GYP use of Ninja in hybrid projects, with an apparently-extraordinary
improvement in [incremental] build performance.  Ninja Build is an ALv2 project,
<https://github.com/ninja-build/ninja/blob/master/COPYING> (even though their LICENSE
file is named COPYING [;<).

There is an interesting document about GYP vs. CMake that also makes interesting mention of
a cygWin dependency in the drawback item 3 at the end of Bradley Nelson's document,
<https://gyp.gsrc.io/docs/GypVsCMake.md>.

I don't know if the recursive dependency issue is solvable.  It looks like it should be, with
a kind of meta-dependency that allows some imposing of more structure and also expression
of dependencies that aren't easily found by inspection.

This attracts my hacker chromosomes although I think there is always concern for how does
one migrate a system in flight.  Bradley Nelson comments on how they were actually able to
do that using GYP.

 - Dennis

PS: About IDEs.  The popular IDEs have underlying build systems.  One can use the build system,
and the IDE-generated project files to do a build, which is what the IDEs do too.  The IDE
watches the output messages to provide an integrated presentation of errors and other information.
 But that's not the only way [;<).  They all end up running command-line utilities underneath.

[ ... ]