openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [MENTORING?] Guiding volunteers
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2016 18:21:02 GMT
It is now time that folks start looking at right-sized projects that could be mentored and
made available to students participating in Google Summer of Code (GSoC).

There is also a discussion, as part of community development, on mentoring generally and finding
ways to make opportunities for volunteers widely-known, since many inquisitive beginners do
not know about individual projects and how to find out what project opportunities for mentoring
newcomers in various projects might be.  That may also give rise to generic support for what
it means to be working on an Apache project and what to expect.

It would be useful to find a way to guide eager volunteers to an available AOO mentoring,
GSoC-related or not.

For that, we need a way to mark tasks in the bugzilla for which there is mentoring available
for interested volunteers.  (We also need the capacity to do this.)

Then there might need a way to cross-couple with what may be a community entry-point where
volunteers who don't have a project in mind can find opportunities in Apache projects, including
AOO if we choose to visibly offer something.

 ??? Thoughts ???

 - Dennis

PS: Although GSoC is all about coding projects, there is no reason to limit ourselves generally.
 There are many other volunteer-ready areas of AOO, including documentation, QA, internationalization,
and various user-focused activities (e.g., mailing lists, forums, etc.).

[ ... ]
> 2) Pick your favourite project. Drop a mail to the dev list. Explain
> your motivation. Ask them to mark issues according to the guidelines in
> http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
>
> 3) Get the message out to those who need a little guidance that they can
> find such issues in JIRA (there are many ways this can be done, all of
> them are good ;-)
>

> Ross
[ ... ]