openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: <DKIM> Re: Complaint Writer lost 36 pages of my document with no auto backup copy.
Date Fri, 01 Jan 2016 09:24:26 GMT
Am 12/31/2015 10:04 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> On 12/31/2015 11:49 AM, Andreas S├Ąger wrote:

>>> I also have autosave enabled, and have not experienced any problems with
>>> it personally.
>>>

>> Both of you work with ODF and export to foreign formats when necessary.
>>
>> Bill M wrote:
>>> The only change I made was to
>>> turn off the question about save in ODF format as I send it to other
>>> people
>>> in RTF or Microsoft DOC format.
>>
>> Bill M uses OpenOffice as an editor for foreign file formats which is
>> the anti-feature that deserves to be disabled completely. All documents
>> should be edited in ODF. Always. When you save another version in
>> foreign file format, the current document should remain the ODF source.
>> Foreign files should be loaded read-only and saved as ODF before editing.
>
> As an AOO user, I would sadly miss the ability to directly edit foreign
> file formats - they are often effectively the interchange format for
> collaborations. I want to see ASAP if I am using some formatting that
> cannot be preserved in the file's primary format.
>
> I suspect I am not the only user who would go with LibreOffice if it
> allows me to edit MS-Word documents directly and OpenOffice does not.

to prevent any misunderstandings. It's not about to kick out any foreign
formats. The point is the following:

- Write something in Writer
- Save it as ODT
- The editor stays with the text in ODT format
- Then save it as DOC
- The editor stays with the text in DOC format

--> And this is the point to change. The editor should stay with the
original ODT format and not with a foreign format.

Marcus