openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Using tesseract-ocr from within AOO ?
Date Sun, 03 Jan 2016 13:40:14 GMT
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 14:28:22 +0100
Joost Andrae <Joost.Andrae@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've just played with the OpenSource OCR engine
> https://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/ and it seems to do it's job
> very well to do OCR on scanned bitmaps.
> As it comes with Apache License 2.0 and as it's available as C++ source
> code why not integrating it's functionality into AOO or building an
> extension that either connect it's API to AOO or which connect's it
> using it's command line arguments ?
>
>  From my perspective both projects would benefit...
>
> Just my 2 EUR cents....
>

> Kind regards, Joost

My experience with it was that it was very accurate, perhaps very close in accuracy to the
best commercial products under Windows.  I was undertaking a major OCR project (ebook preparation
of two out of print 220 page books); I found that using a scan and OCR application under linux
(Linux-Intelligent-Ocr-Solution) made more sense for a project of this size; I later fed the
plain text files into OO Writer for detailed spellchecking and reformatting.

I doubt that full integration with OpenOffice would be a good idea; an extension might be
possible, although I doubt its general usefulness will be worth the effort of writing it.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>