openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Complaint Writer lost 36 pages of my document with no auto backup copy.
Date Thu, 31 Dec 2015 13:49:16 GMT
Marcus wrote:
> Am 12/31/2015 11:34 AM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>> If we are really, really sure that spellchecker failure and backup
>> failure have the same underlying cause and fix it makes sense to combine
>> them in a single Bugzilla entry ...
> Sure, lets start with combining both. When we see that both issues have
> different root causes we can create a new BZ issue.

I see them as different issues. Remember also that "broken spell
checker" used to be an issue with upgrading, and that part of it was
fixed in 4.0.1 (I think; Release Notes can help). Now it is not
necessarily related to the profile migration, since most users are
already on 4.x and profile upgrade only occurs when installing 4.x on a
computer where 3.x was used previously.

Anyway, all of them are related to profile corruption, and this leads me
to think that we should focus on fixing broken profiles first, since
it's easier and it is what users want. There are useful and very simple
options for helping users even before digging in research about this bug:

1) Write a simple Windows tool that will rename the default "user"
folder to "user.20151231-123456" (or your favorite timestamp); this runs
outside OpenOffice, it can be hosted somewhere on home.apache.org and it
may become our standard answer to profile corruption problems.

2) Do the same from within OpenOffice. This requires a bit more
thinking/design, and you will find plenty of messages about this in the
archives.

Feel free to ask if you need anything more; I'm skipping details since
since most of the list members are already familiar with the topic, but
I can provide more information on request.

Regards,
   Andrea.