openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Distribute only one source package
Date Sun, 08 Nov 2015 11:41:15 GMT
On 08/11/2015 Marcus wrote:
> Puh, too many compression formats that do the same. ;-)

Yes, there are at least a dozen compression formats better than
.tar.bz2, but it's too easy to get lost in comparing them...

So take this as a proposal to drop ZIP and drop .tar.gz ; then .tar.bz2
will be left, and if one wants to change it to something else this is
another story, since all kinds of issues, from widespread support to
hidden patent traps, from resource requirements to compression and
decompression times, would have to be examined then.

Realistically, sources are about 2% of the size of a release, so the
compressed size is not a major concern. Dropping ZIP and .tar.gz already
cuts the source package size by 75%, which is good enough: we don't need
a better compression right now, we need one "canonical" source package
that can work on all systems where OpenOffice can be built.

Regards,
   Andrea.