openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Distribute only one source package
Date Sat, 07 Nov 2015 23:08:09 GMT
We currently distribute 3 source packages at
https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2/source/
1) A .tar.bz2 file (209 MBytes)
2) A .tar.gz file (276 Mbytes)
3) A ZIP file (323 MBytes)

The packages are equivalent, so any one would suffice.

As discussed by Regina and Juergen recently, we ship #3 as a convenience
for Windows users but this leads to broken file permissions, so the
recommendation for Windows users is to use #1 or #2, which makes #3 useless.

I suggest, subject to lazy consensus, that we only distribute #1, i.e.,
the .tar.bz2 file.

Reasons:
* If we distribute one source package, it will be clear that we are all
testing and approving the same one
* .tar.bz2 offer better compression than .tar.gz
* bzip2 is ubiquitous today, so I don't believe that there are systems
capable of building OpenOffice which don't have bzip2 available
* better compression formats exist, but they are not as widely supported
as the three we are using now, so I'd stick with bzip2

This of course doesn't apply to 4.1.2, which is already released and
will remain available in all three formats.

Regards,
   Andrea.